Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Phoenix Nest

Phoenix Nests, November 2011

Here we are, the very first image of my art that I am uploading to the web. To be honest, it feels much less important than I thought it would.

This piece was actually inspired by my love of wooden bowls. I really wanted to make one, but didn't want it to just be a boring old bowl. So I changed it. And thus the Phoenix Nests were born. This piece also inspired a video installation, but to me, they are really two separate things. So I will post them separately.

Lately, I have been working with the idea of the beauty and rebirth that destruction brings about. To me, the most beautiful form of destruction is fire. There is something about the colors, the smell and the warmth. It reminds me that even though something is being lost, there is still so much to gain from the destruction. A phoenix dies in a burst of fire, and is reborn from the ashes. I wanted to show that idea through this piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment